My latest mission is to uncover as many lame marketing excuses as I can and show you how lame they (not you) are!
So the other day I sent a message to my Quick Tip subscribers, asking them to, honestly and without guilt, share with me their lamest marketing excuses – and I got back some doozies!
I asked them to finish this sentence:
I should do more marketing but ________________
Here’s the most honest one: I just don’t f$#!ing want to!
And many more — recognize any?
- I don’t know what to say!
- I’m really bad at selling myself.
- Only word-of-mouth marketing works.
- I’m not sure what I have to offer is any better than anyone else.
- I am not sure how to approach a stranger.
- I want it all to be perfect before I start.
- I’m overwhelmed by all the different yet simultaneous fronts of attack.
- I’m worried that I will be annoying. Ugh…
- I’m never satisfied with my website design, but can’t imagine chasing after clients until it is published.
- I keep marketing to the same people without getting a commitment and don’t know what to do next.
- I don’t have time!
- I’m too busy with client work!
- To come up with something of value to say would take more time than I have or am willing to devote to it right now.
- My pet tuna keeps hogging the computer! Grrrrr
And my favorite:
…but I’m afraid it’s going to work
Is yours on the list? If not, send it to me (ilise at marketing-mentor dot com)
We’ve got to get these out into the open — because what’s stopping you is most definitely stopping others too!
And if you’re ready to ditch the lame excuses and get better projects, check out the Weekly Marketing Checklist — it tells you exactly what to do when.
*tuna, courtesy, Shutterstock.